Thursday, February 2, 2023

How do you “expand” your Village?

When I started the “Desi Moms Network” I wanted to build something for moms. “What” I was not sure but “what not” that I was very clear about.

I had been to 3 support group meetings in the beginning of my journey and came home depressed and sad. I went with my own concerns and came home with everyone’s weight on my shoulder. I tried 2 more times and knew for sure that it won’t work for me. 

I went for a Mother’s retreat ( I talk about it all the time- June 2013 ) It was not ideal but I did meet some incredible mothers and that paved the way for “Desi Moms Network”.

I sat on the idea for a while and a few years down the road I implemented all those learnings. All along I continued building my village. I had friends who shared my love for music, books, poetry and saree and yes some with special needs families, Indians and non Indians. When it was time I kept the Indian moms in mind and created something beyond a support group, it is a village. 

The idea evolved and it is amazing in its current form, these 272 Mothers have found their friends beyond special need criteria, they sing, dance, read, travel, dine, exercise, vacation together. They are keeping “themselves” in mind and connecting. 


What is the idea behind this village - I have been asked multiple time - my answer remains the same - Find people you like, talk about you as a person, find something in you to connect - not your child’s diagnosis, nurture your friendship with something you enjoy, not stressing over IEP,  spend time talking about you not your child and see how wonderful it is to “find” the person in you. Once you have that, your families will benefit regardless. If someone loves you they will your child unconditionally

Please find within you - what makes you happy, who you were before motherhood. People who love you as a person they will accept your family the way they are.

Saree - a meet with my Saree Village 

I wish you a village who is there to empower, uplift and encourage you.


Saree - a meet with my Saree Village 



Last weekend I taught a family "basics of Indian cooking" Another kind of village - People who cook together :)










No comments:

Post a Comment