Friday, July 21, 2023

What is authenticity and identity for you?

When we moved to the USA, we encountered misconceptions and stereotypes about our cultural background. There were numerous information sessions and lectures on how to behave, dress, speak, and live in a foreign land. We heard many stories about Indian households smelling of curry, having thick Indian accents, and dressing differently. Like many others, we experienced these adjustments during our initial days.

The internet accessibility has certainly helped people understand different cultures and practices. Additionally, outsourcing has added another layer to cultural interactions. I will write about those misconceptions and my learnings another day.

Today, I want to talk about my idea of authenticity and celebrating my identity. Embracing authenticity means acknowledging and respecting our roots while also adapting to new surroundings. It involves celebrating my unique identity as an Indian, and in my case, as a desi woman, even if it means standing out in a crowd by wearing a saree at a 5K event.

The company I work for hosted a 5K last week, and I decided to "walk" (Not run ;). It was a humid and warm day, but that didn't stop me from flaunting my saree as I thought it was a perfect occasion for me to embrace my Indian identity.

In the crowd, there were plenty of Indians, but I was the only one wearing a saree - yours truly. The compliments, smiles, questions, and conversations were all fun. Many people shared their experiences of their trips to India and expressed fascination with the country. People have come a long way from simply referring to "the dress you are wearing" to complimenting my saree as beautiful :)

What does being authentic mean to you? What makes someone a native or a foreigner? For me, being authentic is not about conforming to stereotypes or societal expectations but rather staying true to who you are. It's about being comfortable in your own skin, expressing yourself genuinely, and embracing the richness of your cultural heritage.



No comments:

Post a Comment