Sunday, January 3, 2021

A snapshot for coming year - What did you do today?

Written on Jan 1st

Today i did something beyond my ordinary belief but thats what last 10 month have taught us. I am not at all religious, superstitious and dont want to do things if I dont believe in. But today I decided to do what I want to do whole year.

While recording the podcast I was reminded again how I cannot define me in one word. Music and Ghazal, Saree and Special needs awareness are 3 major part of me as a person. So today I thought of nurturing all part of me. I needed to be happy as a person.

I started my day phone calls with ma-papa and sisters and brothers in laws. with some exercise ( just for the sake of doing ;) and a queens breakfast with Pandey boys, read something and watched some TV. 

Wore a simple cotton saree and dragged boys for a family picture. Oh how excited they were I cannot even tell you. You will know once you see the pictures.

Afternoon met a saree friends for a quick lunch and then met a family from my Network for photoshoot. I drove listening to ghazals and made some phone calls to people who matter in my life. When I came back did a group call with my besties and that was so much needed. jokes, laughter, promises and some leg pulling all in that 30 mins call. That was promising enough to know that someone has my back.

I went to get some Italian beans from a friend. She is my first non Indian and togo friend in Franklin and every year she hosts the New Year open house. It would have been weird not seeing Pat on New years so even for couple of mins I had to see her. I connected two moms to Moms Network, letting them know they were not alone in this journey, that they have a whole village around them. That in itself was fulfilling and promising for an amazing start to the year.


After I came back and met a new friend who took pictures last week in the park when our saree group met. it was just a random coincidence and today it symbolized the hope, humanity and happiness. She was so happy and curious to know more about our culture and sarees.


The phone calls and txt msgs today are both promises and reminders. To keep people close who matter in my life and let go who are not meant to be with me.

The day ended with some good drink, laughter, dinner and boys around me. Off course the dishes are in dishwasher and laundry is going on. How can I leave that out of my todo list . “Looks like my heart is happy and full” - Quoting the mom who got the family pictures as new year’s gift. The calls/texts msgs and note, card each one of them today are reminding me how fortunate I am. I was with my parents and sisters and brothers in law last year, it was fun and celebration. This year I feel I am surrounded by love from people who matter to me and I matter to them as well.  Calm and content is the feeling I am ending my day with and I wish you the same. 



A beautiful Irkal (Ilkal) for the new year. I wore the same wave in different color as the last saree of the year. A simple, easy to wear cotton.


One thing I learnt from this year fiasco - 45F and above and a dry day can sure be outdoorsy, We are eating out and using our fire pit like never before :) 



The New Years dinner - sum of everything Vada from the family I went to take picture, Steaks, Poori made by Ajey, Chicken curry by master chef



No comments:

Post a Comment