Tuesday, May 4, 2021

To show what I really am - A desi in the town

I was asked to join a board of a very prominent Non Profit in Boston in the area of Special Needs.  The process was going on for a couple of months and May 3rd Monday was the first Board meeting I joined as the new member.

The Federation has been there for a long time but didn’t have any Desi ( Indian) member. I got to know about federation quite a few years ago, Joined their Parent Consultant Training Institute (PCTI) in 2015 and learnt a lot. It is to empower parents to be their kids advocate in the world of special education.

I don’t think I utilized what they offered fully but sure leant something. More than that I understood the power of “rights” and “knowledge”.

I made some wonderful friends. I did volunteer for few years with them for some events so I know their mission really is to empower parents.

When they asked if i would be willing to be a part of Board I was more than delighted to. The board is made of some amazing and successful individuals and being part of that great team is really gratifying.


Another organization is Mass Families. Their mission is also very similar. They also add a layer of political activism to empower parents. I was part of their leadership series in 2017. They also reached out this year to make me one of them - officially. 

I joined Mass Families’s board and got appointed their treasurer. The email announcement came on Monday too. I hope I do justice to all the expectation. 


Monday May 3rd - to support Desi families and showcase my culture and identity  I had to wear a blue saree. I have been known to wear sarees in Boston State House or any event related to special needs families. Someone did comment that they look forward to seeing my saree.


If you know anyone who needs help navigating the special needs world please suggest them to visit Federation’s site.

https://fcsn.org 


Know more about Mass Families 

https://massfamilies.org ( their home page features our family in one of their slide (the last slide)  :) A picture taken on one Thanksgiving. - So thankful .


A simple bengal taant -years old. My Sister Seema’s old treasure. 



I had a difficult  weekend with so much going around us. Monday needed some cheer. A packet arrived and brought some sunshine from Texas. Deepika you have no idea. It is not just a gift, it symbolizes love, respect, empathy and friendship.  Thank you.. I have never met Deepika, she is part of Saree Speak group and had interviewed me twice. She had done with so many people but yesterday she made me feel "one of a kind" her note said - "Love that I met someone as courageous as you! Fate and destiny often decide who we meet in our lives. Thankful for that ❤️, Looking forward to meeting you in person, God willing" Cannot wait to drape this beauty.



My post "difficult weekend" 

https://jayapandey.blogspot.com/2021/05/if-you-feel-despair-you-are-not-alone.html


1 comment: