Friday, May 28, 2021

Third time is a charm :)

Last night was special in a way, I was excited and looking forward to chatting about a new opportunity to make a difference. A dear friend initiated this conversation, she is part of the board. They were looking for a new member, she put my name in the hat. It was somewhere in Oct 2020. and then again it started in March this year. As of now I am a first Desi on one board and two of them had one member, a dad, before me.

By this time I was already selected for two other non profit boards. I have seen the change in special-needs world. People are more aware of minorities and do want to know about other communities. Diversity is becoming a new trend.  A woman in the saree sure was a novelty few years ago but now I am expected to be in a saree. A dear friend lovingly said I normalize the saree in Boston. 


Yesterday I had to meet few board members. I had a very weird day. I was very restless and couldn’t focus on anything. It was not because of the meeting but somehow I wasn’t in my right place. After work I decided to mediate before getting ready for the call. before I knew I was asleep and woke up 30 might before the call. Rushed for the shower and took out a simple Ikat cotton. I smile writing this thinking about the panic I had. 

The conversation was awesome and I was very energized. They were kind and curious and I had a very good feeling about the whole conversation. Even with the technology glitch I encountered. The Microsoft Team decided not to support me. One of them was very kind to set the Zoom meeting right away. I was embarrassed to the core but they quickly moved on to important stuff. A very intriguing and thought provoking conversation ended with” What would I do with my position on the board”. Now you can imagine how much I must have talked :)

I went to bed being thankful for these opportunities where I can make a difference. I can still not do things for Anand, I am always behind but some other mom gets benefit from my journey that itself is motivating.

A simple cotton Orissa Ikat saree, An online implusive shopping. Grey just like my mood yesterday. 

Have a simpler and kinder weekend. Do one thing just for you. I am going to make a cup of Chai and listen to one ghazal of Jagjit Singh.

This flower was on my hair. I go to water my friends plant and got this one for my Thursday evening :) the amount of buds on that bush I am all taken care for another month I think
This email from an aunt explains beautifully what I want to do  ( or should be doing) with my board position. these msgs keep me going. Please let your friends and family know (who has a child with needs) they are NOT alone.



No comments:

Post a Comment