Tuesday, October 11, 2022

The Karma and the Dharma - What these customs mean to you

 My brother in law left so unexpectedly and sudden that we all are still in shock. The last rights, rituals and prayers are meant to give you the closure. Right now it doesn’t feel that way. Both of our nieces performed all the customs together. I have been part of these prayers and I couldn’t be any prouder. These girls have special place in my heart but these past few days I am in awe of their strength, determination and love for their dad. My BIL was a wonderful dad, always there for his girls, helped my SIL doing household chores and being very active part of girls growing up. He was their mentor and best friend. 

Seeing these two performing the rituals was an experience, It will stay with me forever. I know as a society we have progressed a lot but it is still not very common for girls to perform the customs. My BIL donated his body so there were not traditional last rites and cremation but the family decided to follow all other 12 days services. I wasn’t here for all of them but was there for day 13th and 14th ( the most important days)


The  Priest was very patient and accommodating and did very nice job. My BIL was one of the most social person you could come across, he was handsome, funny, witty, charming and a wonderful communicator. The small town “Ramtek” ( this town has a religious significance for Maharashtrian families for these observance) saw visitors from far and afar friends and relatives equally. They all were in shock and had many stories about him. 

And now they have another story to talk about how my BIL and co-sister raised amazing daughters who followed their heart and made not only their dad proud but the whole family.

I for one will be forever grateful to be part of their journey and show how these girls in their 20s are way progressive than so many of people around them. 






A silk from my moms closet, I so needed the comfort and love from her that day



No comments:

Post a Comment