Tuesday, October 11, 2022

The prayers for a departed soul - What it is for us?

 Families come together in the strangest way when hit by tragedy. Everyone gives support in any way they can. As I wrap my trip here I am learning more about people around me. I have not ashamed to accept that we forget the connection in general and live just the monotonous life but these events just stop life with a bolt and make us introspective of our choices in general.

The last day of services for my BIL was conducted at home. Close family members did some Shanti Pooja after biding good bye, guiding the family to move on with around 40 people and 4 priests, prayers and food.


I saw the concerns, suggestions, questions among the guests . The formalities to be completed for obtaining the death certificate, the bill payment for the whole period, the conversations about the to do list, the wrapping up of finances and also wrapping up a household . My co- sister has to start her life all over again, move to the city she grew up in to be closer to her daughters, with my mother in law moving to her daughter’s home. One person was keeping so many things in place. I do feel for my co-sister but cannot stop thinking about the girls. They will miss their dad’s advice in so many ways and his absence will cloud everything in their life.

For now I can only hope that these long ceremonies gave them closure, strength and courage to live their life and they will remember their dad in his style - larger than life and living fully.

What brought peace in your life in these circumstances and what suggestions would you have for someone in a similar situation? 









No comments:

Post a Comment