Tuesday, November 1, 2022

Koyalagudem- a Village of love - A happy place

 My India trip was planned for 3 things, Diwali and Mr Husband’s birthday with family, a Jagjit Singh tribute program in Surat and a trip to meet Chandana.


I planned it in such a way that I would do my things first ( JS Tribute concert, visit Chandana and do my shopping) and then will become a daughter in law once Mr Husband arrives. My brother in law’s (Husband’s older brother) sudden death scrambled everything. I cancelled my Surat plan ( I was part of the core group and was so looking forward to seeing the rest of the team in person, more on my mental state on that decision later), but a very quick and short trip to meet Chandana was replanned. I was introduced to Chandana in July of  2020 and soon she made a place in my heart and life, a 19 year old girl taking care of her father’s legacy, she soon became a constant fixture in my life. I helped her grow, learn, supported her in any way I could. She was so looking forward to meeting me and so was I.  My BIL’s untimely and sudden death shook everyone. This visit was much needed for me as well. I had 48 hours in Hyderabad, the village is 60 KM from the airport , a sum of 22 hours for Chandana including drives.

She was at the airport to pick me up, we drove an hour to reach her home, her mother was ready with a feast, she couldn’t “talk” to me as she only spoke Telugu but we spoke a lot to each other, the language of love is very powerful. As soon as the rain stopped Chandana took me on a village tour and it dawned on me that whatever I did with my friends for her, it not only supported her, it also helped so many households in that village. It was like a chain reaction or an assembly line. I wore a dress woven in that village -that’s what I thought but it was someone who took care of the yarn, colored it, processed it and then it went on the loom for weaving. People treated me with love and respect, I was given the royal treatment even though I was the only woman not in a saree. In a village of 3350 people ( as of Wiki, 2001 census) I was the center for everyone that night.  The houses I visited, the people I met, most of them couldn’t talk to me as I didn’t understand their language but they spoke to me with their touch, hugs and eyes. I saw the lack of resources and money but found an abundance of love and gratitude.

That night I danced with the kids and the adults equally during their pooja and that will remain one of my lifetime memories. 


That trip prepared me for the next day to see my nieces and co-sister in a strange way. I was pumped with positivity and appreciation so I could support, transfer my energy and love to my nieces, I received lot of love so I could share the same with them.

I slept and ate on the floor, used indian style toilet and shower, walked in the muddy roads, didn’t worry about bugs or hygiene or cleanliness,  something I wouldn’t do in general but for every minute I was there, I felt I was in the right place with my people that I belonged . Do you feel you belong where you are? 


The Biryani was waiting for me 

Vishal, her 12 yrs old brother, such a happy kid, was so ready to do anything Jaya Auntie asks for.

Chandana’s  mom 

Off to a ride - she took me to a temple in a neighboring village. I was afraid of pot holes, water, mud and what not but enjoyed the ride regardless

Devalamma Temple

And then the village darshan started 

I needed to sit and feel 

This mom said so many things I didnt understand but her smile was enough, she said Dishti and touched my head . All I felt was the love 

Jaya in Red yarn house and then off to Blue yarn house. 

The man who designed this Natural dye cotton saree - It was his First creation and years later I wore that. How grateful he was to see me and my picture in the saree. 

I wore this dress not knowing I will meet the man who did Tye and Dye for this piece. His smile said it all 

His whole family including grand children were so excited, I should have taken more pictures. 

Pradhan of the village, He wanted a pic and Later he sent something on his What's app group mentioning a foreigner wearing Ikat and Dancing - Chandana had a blast reading that msg in Telugu 
More on these pics in my next post 
One from her collection 



No comments:

Post a Comment