Friday, November 4, 2022

A trip down memory lane - Literally - Balaghat Visit

A trip to my home town brought so many memories alive. I grew up in this town and decided to visit it on this trip

Balaghat - A small place somewhere in the Central state of India.

I traveled by car, walked, took Auto rickshaws and rode on a motorbike. They were adventurous days. It was not the city I knew , things, places and people feel different. I don’t even get the vibe I was used to. Even then I loved my time there. 

Arrival in Balaghat was adventurous. We walked in the house after 5 hours drives with no electricity or water supply. The home has a well in the back and it was full so we could use the water.

My mom and I decided to drive around town while my dad started making frantic calls about electricity. Mr Husband and I were in his home after ages and he just wasn’t happy with the situation :)

The Drive around town did something to my restless soul, nothing was familiar but still I felt at home. A quick trip to the river banks, a drive around town, a visit to my dad’s favorite temple and finally a chat/panipuri snack. The guy has had this shop for decades and he and the server could recognize me and I so felt I was the same young girl who enjoyed street food.

Mr Husband went to see his friends, water and electricity was restored and I was at ease. Everything was different yet the same, I didn’t grow up in this house but lived here for a couple of years before I got married. It has undergone some renovations in the last 30 years of its existence. 

This trip is very unusual in so many ways. I needed this comfort and calm after a few turbulent weeks. I spent 3 nights here, met few friends from school and college, walked around town and relived my time. I came across some new experiences and faced some age old biases. Stay tuned for those posts.

Dusty, dirty and broken roads, too many but empty shops, crowded areas but it  is still home.  

The happy girl, Going to Mayke ( parents home)  with mom and dad 

we flew to Raipur from Bangalore to my sister and then drove to Balaghat - 250 KM
A quick trip to Shankar Ghat -It felt so close this time, just few KMs  
Asati Chat House, people who know me wouldn't be surprised I was there first thing 




Bank in our town - Yup dad still believes in human connection or may be things still works in the town this way
 Double Ikat Telia Rumal -Cotton - Chandana's collection 





No comments:

Post a Comment