Tuesday, November 1, 2022

The faith, spirituality and religion -The koyyalagudem Saga continues

When I reached koyyalagudem I didn’t have anything in mind except meeting Chandana and her family and to buy some sarees and fabrics. Some of my local friends insisted I should do the video call for them too. After reaching there I realized how short my time was in that village. I had an agenda, a todo list but decided to go with the flow. Instead of my list I went on a drive, to a temple, visited many homes, met people, joined a Durga puja procession, danced with everyone and did the pooja because Chandana wanted me to.

The deity procession stoped in front of various homes( who contributed in the festival I think), head of the house did the pooja and they moved on to next home. 

I stepped out of Chandana’s home not knowing what to expect,  but before I knew it I was part of the procession and was dancing along side everyone else . I was an outsider but they invited me to be one of them. They were carefully observing my behavior. Chandana made me hold the stick and nudged me to start, slowly another joined and then one after another the group got bigger. At the next stop the young girls asked me to join their group and then it just felt that I had been part of the whole village forever.

When it came to Chandana’s door she asked me to perform the pooja and then it hit me how important I was to her. I am not  religious but I did feel the power of faith. I was there not thinking about me, not following the religion, I was there respecting the love.

That didn’t stop me from asking for coconut water from the priest and a bigger piece of coconut to eat :)

That night I managed the video call for friends for their shopping and slept in a room full of Sarees and Ikat Fabrics. The hardwork of so many people in that village, the dreams, the hopes, the art and their livelihood.

I was happy to contribute in some way.

Next morning Chandana’s mom did my “Bidai” a Good bye ritual. I left keeping that warmth and love in my heart, with a promise to come back again soon. I stayed in that house for less than 20 hours but it felt like home. 












One from her collection - for her Insta Live



No comments:

Post a Comment