Monday, October 2, 2023

Once a Strangers ? Are they your future friends?

 Writing, talking, and saree-ing have brought many people into my life. But one of the biggest contributors is my passion for Autism Awareness and Desi Moms Network. I have got to know many people from across the world, made connections, and formed long-lasting friendships.


Every time I travel, I try to meet moms from the group if possible. I get to meet incredible human beings, to say the least. Meeting the moms and families makes it all worth it.


My Maryland trip was no exception. When I decided on my dates, I reached out to a couple of moms I had been connected with in that area. One of them offered to host me. She did it all - a long rainy drive to pick me up, taking me to meet two other moms, hosting me for the night, serving appetizing and sumptuous breakfast. And, of course, a beautiful saree, because my saree stories were the initiators of our friendship. Our kids came later in our friendship. Our kids are of the same age and have similar profiles, so we had many things to talk about.


One of the most interesting parts was meeting her mom (who is visiting her this week from CA). When they both came to pick me up, she genuinely asked where I was from. The mere mention of the town brought the whole world closer. One of her friends in California was from that town, and the conversation became more interesting with the mention of the last name. A few text messages, a FaceTime call, and, interestingly, the person who was picking me up the next morning was that friend's daughter. So my visit could connect two daughters in Virginia whose mothers are friends living in California. One is my Saree Friend, and the other one grew up in my hometown and was my former student. 


The whole Saga bring smile every time I think of it. Everything just worked out in my packed schedule. Some time it’s wonderful to be curious and inquisitive, I kept thinking if Auntie has not come to pick me up or not asked questions about my life.


 Do you open up to strangers? Do you ask questions?

A kanchi silk cotton. 

The Moms Who were strangers when we walked in - by the end of the dinner - it was a different story- 

My trip became the reason these two met. I didnt feel guilty that she came to pick me up. She got to meet her mom's friend :)

No comments:

Post a Comment