Thursday, October 19, 2023

What is Marriage for you? Support? Respect? partnership? or none of the above

Desi Moms Network has brought many wonderful women and families into my life. They have brought joy and fulfillment, satisfaction, pride, and heartache too. It's painful to witness the struggles and disappointments.

Last week was tough; two moms from the group reached out with frustration and outrage. They were dealing with interference from in-laws, their husbands' attitudes towards household chores, responsibilities toward their children, and money management. They are handling school meetings, therapies, medical appointments, dinner, homework, and working full time.


I've been thinking about what marriage means in these households. I am in no position to judge or advise anyone, I am sure the dad's have their side of story too. The fact is that couples with a special needs child experience more stress on their marriage. Some grow apart, while others stick together and become a team. I've come across some very involved dads, and that is such a positive change. But what about those families where women are taking care of the household and children and not getting due respect? Marriage means support, respect, companionship, love, commitment, partnership, and the creation of a family unit regardless of culture, country, or caste. But these families have different stories.


What is marriage for you? Is it partnership? A legal and financial arrangement? A social status? A burden? A responsibility? A mistake?


A Cotton Paithani for a celebration - Hindi Manch an organization I am part of - celebrated a successful show - “Begani shadi me”My first born was my plus one.









1 comment:

  1. Marriage should be pure friendship with respect and love. Marriage is a feeling where I know I have an unconditional support beside me. Tough time always comes. By understanding and supporting each other, a couple can overcome it.

    ReplyDelete