Sunday, April 16, 2023

Crazy Ideas with the best memories.

My sister got married in Chennai in 2002. We were in the final stages of obtaining our green card when the 9/11 incident occurred, which changed the way immigration worked and resulted in a longer process than usual. As a result, we were not allowed to leave the country, and I had resigned myself to the fact that I would not be able to attend my sister's wedding. However, we had visited India six months prior and had met my future brother-in-law, and I was frequently in touch with my sisters and mother about the wedding preparations.

During one of our calls less than two weeks before the wedding, I decided I did not want to miss out on the fun. I vividly remember Mr. husband telling me that I was miserable and spending too much money on phone calls, and that I should go in person. I made the impulsive decision to go to the federal building the very next day with My older son, applied for parole Visa, booked a last-minute ticket, and set off to India with my two young children, who were less than 2 and 5 years old.

My flight had a very long stopover in Amsterdam (I think it was 8 hours), and I flew to Mumbai via Amsterdam before taking another flight to Chennai. After more than 36 hours of traveling and three flights, I finally arrived in Chennai on a scorching hot summer day. Mr. Husband's colleagues thought I was crazy, but it was one of the best decisions I have ever made. Despite the long flights and heat, it was well worth it.

During the wedding, I received two sarees from my sister, brother-in-law, and parents. One was a rose-pink Kanjivaram saree, and the other was a silk saree with a gold hue. Both of them remain my top picks to this day.


There was also a three-day musical event celebrating culture and music that I was a part of. I loved being part of the team, and the backstage hangouts were really fun. This saree was a perfect pick for the event – simple, light, and classy. 









No comments:

Post a Comment