Sunday, April 2, 2023

Is awareness and acceptance enough? April 2nd 2023 - Wearing blue is just not enough.

It’s World Autism Awareness and Acceptance Day today. For years I have made a big deal about it - Wear blue and write a story and what not. Over the years 100s of people have tagged me in their saree stories on this day. But this year none of it is making sense to me.  I think the whole idea of Awareness and acceptance has morphed into something else. I don’t want this to be about a single day, I guess I am dreaming about a more inclusive society in general. 

Are we inclusive enough ? Even in the special need community do we do enough for each other? Or are we so caught up in our own life that we forget to check on each other? So today please do everything you would do on April 2nd plus add one more task- Check on at least two moms, invite someone for a cup of coffee in the coming week, take a walk with someone who needs you, drop a meal to a family who could use a break and above all be kind to yourself. Take a breath and know YOU ARE NOT ALONE.


This day hit another reality. We keep talking about “when our children grow up” or when we are old. I have many people in my life whose children are in their 20s, we all are growing old together learning together. That’s all we know. The oldest in the group is 36 and he is the only one in 30s. And his mother is not very active in our group so its not “right in our face”

But today I was introduced to someone whose brother in law is in his late 40s. For the first time I was approached by “sister in law” for someone. I didn’t even know how to react, what to tell. I just hugged her, gave her my number and asked her to call me some time. But I am really struggling with what to tell her. I know I will find some solution, connection, BUT today I am clueless.


On this day today a statistic scares me . In 2023, the CDC reported that approximately 1 in 36 children in the U.S. is diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder (ASD), according to the 2020 data.

On this today I am asking you all to be compassionate, empathetic and inclusive. 


An Ikat from a girl I love, I am in awe of her hard-work and resilience. This saree is a gift of love, admiration and respect. The windy morning and least interested photographer Mr. Husband - I got what I got. My saree and hair decided to take his side but these pics are not about me its all about the saree and what it means to me.


This late morning I went to Gurudwara (is a place of assembly and worship for Sikhs, a religion in India) A friend hosted the Langar (lunch) there. I walked in and was very happy to see a very inclusive place in a way.

Lot of people of all walks of life praying and eating together, cooking and saving together. Men women alike.







No comments:

Post a Comment