Friday, November 10, 2023

Do you seek help? Why or why not?

 Our family is a mixed bag of fun, excitement, arguments, love, food, laughter, and frustration. I would like to think that it’s not an easy ride for us, or some days I feel we have it all. I am sure everyone feels the same way one day or another. Whatever the case, any given day, I look forward to another day.

I went to visit a facility run by an organization of which I am a board member. I am still learning about the incredible work they are doing. A visit to their Community Behavioral Health Center was an eye-opener. How the mental health crisis is so relevant and often ignored until it’s too late.


While talking to a friend, who is a social worker and mental health clinician, our conversation turned into the "shyness" of the Desi community and the delicate balance of mental health. She is one of those rare Desi social workers. We both wondered if our community is truly as well-sorted as it appears. I totally understand that Indians are called a model minority for a reason (it’s a myth, but that conversation is for some other day). While everyone seems to be doing well and living happily, is this reality?

I strongly believe in the importance of mental health support.. Desi Moms Network is based on that very need. Years ago I needed someone who could understand what I was going through as Anand’s mom, and that piece was missing. Desi Moms Network is the result of that need.


When faced with challenges, do you actively seek help? Do you think you can handle whatever comes your way on your own? Do you feel overwhelmed? What about your children? are you attuned to their reality?


A black gold Chanderi for a music meet. This was another mental health remedy for me. 


The garba in my town, so many people happily dancing and enjoying their time. What is going on in their homes no one knows but at least that evening everyone was just having fun. Dance and music and the whole village - that was just enough for that evening.

My colleagues came for dinner and Anand sat on the table and ate with everyone, even with his video on , this was a big deal for me.



Oct 2012 I was looking for my village and couldn't find any so build one. Here we are 11 years later I can say these 300+ mothers are very lucky.












No comments:

Post a Comment