Sunday, December 17, 2023

Sibling Relationships - Do Your Childhood Memories Still Drive Them?

 Last year, for the first time, Mr. Husband and I traveled out of the country, leaving Anand alone at home for over two weeks. Ajey lived in the city and came home for the weekends. That trip was emotionally challenging for many reasons. We were leaving Ajey and Anand alone for this long time and thousands of miles for the first time. Also Mr. Husband's older brother passed away suddenly in India right before our trip.

This year, the brothers were on their own for over three weeks, with the same situation of Ajey coming home for the weekends. We mostly left them to their own devices, with occasional calls and texts. I felt more at ease this time.


During this trip, we traveled across Maharashtra with my mother-in-law, sister-in-law, and nephew to meet my mother-in-law’s siblings and their families. Countless conversations and memories were revisited, and new connections were made. This was also the first time I couldn't meet one of my sisters during my trip.

I witnessed sibling relationships spanning three generations, observing the joy and complications associated with them. I noticed how situations, ego, socio-economic status, money, children, spouses, and childhood memories continue to shape these relationships. As we evolve as individuals over the years, so do our relationships.

What is your take on it? How have your relationships evolved with your siblings over the years? Do your spouse or children influence these dynamics for you? I often find myself contemplating the future relationship between my boys.


A beautiful cotton from Sister in law’s closet, borrowed for the trip. Wore it for a family reunion.


 My mother in law with two of her sisters, My most favorite pic of that day.

Mr Husband with one of his cousin in Dubai, met after 28 years. 
A day out in Bangalore with my sister.
 Mr. Husband with his cousin and sister. 
My MIL with one of his cousin. Mr Husband met his uncle after ages.
 MIL with her youngest brother. 
Mr Husband with another cousin. She shares the nickname with him. They met may be after 30 plus years. 

Pune: A Family Reunion

 Pune marked a significant family gathering – a big deal. Many cousins reunited after years, nieces and nephews met for the first time, sisters reconnected after a long hiatus, and several new additions met the in-laws for the first time. The countless phone calls leading up to this moment were truly worth every second. Finding a place in the middle of the city where we could spend a few hours without any rush proved to be a challenge. The staff at Green Signal restaurant had no idea how instrumental they were in this family reunion.The tears, joy, laughter, and new connections formed the most significant takeaways for me. Witnessing sisters laugh together after years and seeing my mother-in-law with two of her sisters was the highlight of the day. 

Missing one of my own - 3 of us in Nandi Hills.



No comments:

Post a Comment