Saturday, December 23, 2023

Journey to Independence - one sickness at a time :)

 This was my second trip to India with Mr. Husband, without the kids. Last year, I had a big to-do list and a backup plan for Anand. A lot of women from my town helped with Anand’s drop-off and pick-up to and from work, so at least two people were checking on him every day. He has been using public transport now, so there wasn’t any friendly check-in.

A week later, Anand started feeling sick with a cough and cold. He had to miss work for two days and survive on his own, as Ajey could only come on Friday night. I suggested he could call our friends for help. He was cooking pasta and ordering food, but nothing helped more than hot lentil soup (dal) and rice. I also did what a mom could do from that far—texted some of my friends. Apparently, he was quick to ask for help too.

He missed work for two days; Ajey was home for the weekend. Anand was back to work on Monday with a lingering cold and cough. He survived that with grace and without panic. We would check on him; he would go to work, cook some, order some, and someone would drop off some food.


This was the first time he managed sickness on his own. I was in a much better state of mind, knowing he is handling it better. Time to teach him how to make dal now :) I don’t have many details of those days other than what I heard from my friends.

Another milestone I couldn’t imagine before. Another step towards independence.


A silk saree for The World Saree Day meet. A gift from Mr. Husband’s friend’s wife. We rarely meet, but she remembered me when she was shopping in Bangalore. It’s the thought that counts. 

Welcome home hug was wonderful. Looks like someone missed his mom :) I wish I could capture that :) 

A group of Saree lover women from Boston, Met on a chili, windy cold night to celebrate and saree and sisterhood.


No comments:

Post a Comment