Sunday, September 6, 2020

In one day there is so much to think of

The day started with a conversation with a friend, her father in law just got sick (non Covid). They cannot just hop on the plane and go. So many things to consider with the restrictions  and with covid the travel is nerve wracking in itself. I felt so helpless listening her going through this. Grieving for FIL, worrying about MIL and supporting her husband and feeling for her children and knowing very well that she cannot do anything. I learnt how fear and worry can cripple your logic. I witnessed a woman, who would analyze things for me so easily, falling prey to anxiety, knowing very well it would not do her any good. 

Another friend lost her FIL to COVID, he was in the hospital getting his Chemo, wanted to fight cancer but lost to this disease, again the same story.They are stuck here and feeling so helpless. Sadness and frustration not only about the loss but how they couldn’t eve say their goodbyes. More and more it’s apparent how important closure is.


Such was my day but I always look for a silver lining. A dear friend invited us for dinner. 8 of us sat out in her backyard, fighting mosquitos and enjoying the good weather, company and friendship. I have grown old with them and this evening was sure to make me feel supported and loved. They made me forget the sadness and difficulties and reminded me of what’s good is in this world. 


This story is about something else too. I noticed an Indian couple walking on the road near my house. It wasn’t her long hair, it was the flowers in her hair that caught my attention .  I had to stop and check where she got them from. I had never seen them here in the USA. She was very kind to me and generously invited me to her home to get these flowers. My Friday evening was so exciting because I had those “aboli” flowers (Crossandra or firecracker flowers ). I couldn’t wait for Saturday to get dressed.

I took the flowers with me and those darling friends made the string for me to put in my hair. Their friendship brings joy to me in a way no one can imagine.

If you have such friends in your life, hold on to them. Cherish the friendship, keep them close to your heart and never forget to remind them how important they are to you. Sometimes we take people for granted. Today take a minute to call/text one friend to let them know they matter.

Hope your week was kind to you. 

Kovai Kora cotton from Coimbatore a git from a saree pact-er friend. 





Anand decided to stay home but the friend was very kind to send plenty to feed him. 


my foodie son wouldn't have missed a chance :)

the Aboli flower. These will remind me how wonderful the world is. Now go back and see my second pic. How beautiful they are on my hair or no hair :)

No comments:

Post a Comment