Thursday, September 10, 2020

Then and Now - A circle of care and share - build your village

Year 2003, we were first time home owners and had no idea about house care and repairs. Something happened and I called the first electrician from the yellow book.  No Facebook help , no DIY youtube video of how to, not much information was available online at the time. The electrician came to have a look and gave me a $70 bill just to come. Imagine my shock, $70 just to park the truck and come in.

We were a rarity in a very white town, didn’t know anyone and were on our own for sometime. I could convince some of our friends to  buy a home in Franklin and life was much better. I took upon myself to show every one around town. Grocery stores, Yelp and google were not what they are today and there was no google map. We relied on paper maps from AAA. I made sure new comers didn’t have to go through what I had. 


That’s where the idea of a “desi ladies group” was born. To support each other with household stuff- finding plumbers, electricians ,handymen, landscapers and snow cleaning services. I started calling everyone I knew and pitched the idea. At the first meeting in my home I didn’t know who would show up but many did and that’s how my first group was born. A Yahoo Desi Ladies in Franklin group. It was our place to share resources as most of the Indian household ladies were responsible for finding the help.


Over the years we upgraded to a WhatsApp group. We still share the resources but it’s a little more than that now.  The group is more about social connections than just sharing resources. 

We meet often for movies and evening tea. This simple georgette saree for a socially distant evening tea with the gang. 


The socially distant meet was one of my initial idea to cope with social isolation. I very well knew how much I need people around also at the same time I was very apprehensive and careful, Understood the severity of situation. I know finding an out of the box solution and thinking through beyond just tomorrow, long term is my strength. I so wish all my ideas could work for my sons too. Well, I should be happy what I get.




 A lawn is ready for one of the meet. Do you not feel like joining? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment