Monday, May 9, 2022

Mothers day - What it is for you? What kind of celebration matters

I usually struggle with traditional celebration for many of these “days”. I personally don’t like the forwarded messages. At the same time I understand everyone cannot “word’ the love, respect and gratitude they feel. 

I also believe in not having just one day. We as mothers parent our children 365 days so why celebrate just one day. Anyways, if only I was ever one of those who follows the norms :)

My morning started with tons of messages , some of them were really meaningful. I could feel people have put thought and time in wording those. One said-“on the days you feel like you don't know what you are doing, know that you are usually brilliant”, one of the most comforting messages I have ever received. 

 And one more from someone who is an amazing dad, fabulous husband, adorable son and a caring brother  -“Happy mother’s day to the most strong mother I have known didi”. And many more in the same line. Every message meant love and respect. I appreciate people taking time and writing something personal.


 This morning my boys had a different reactions. Anand shot down my virtual hugs saying they don’t do any good to him and Mr Husband said he thinks Anand is right, all these emotional messages are just words :) but my first born thought differently and  insisted I should come for lunch to the city. For a change I didn’t get involved with any planning. I let father and son talk, pick a place and even pick my meal. It was a beautiful, simple, no frill new cafe in East Boston, (had one of the best sandwiches) and a coffee and a walk along the water. I think those amazing messages made me feel good but it was a hug from my first born who said, I  was missed and he loves me - today and always. That was the best celebration for me. 


After a fun afternoon we met for a simple dinner at a friend’s. All our kids are away but as she said jokingly we all are each other’s moms too, so lets celebrate us. With so many things on my mind I couldn’t think of anything but a blouse and saree from my Mother in law’s closet. A pair of red shoes made it more fun.


The Saree is a tribute to the woman who made me a daughter in law. Last trip I was helping my mother in law sort her belongings. She is one of the most content woman and lives very simply. She asked me to take a couple of her sarees and this was one of them. 


Hope you had a good day, did something special for yourself.  My tribute to all the moms out there who not only gave birth, they helped, taught, coached, cajoled, comforted, fed, guided someone. 


This is a gift for me - made on the story of someone I love, mothered and tortured and hugged and fed
The happy mother India 


No comments:

Post a Comment