Sunday, May 1, 2022

Discovery museum Acton - A discovery in so many ways for familes

 Sept of 2019 a friend connected me to the Discovery Museum in Action and I joined the gala in Oct and witnessed first hand that a small museum is big in many ways.

I wrote about that and somehow the draft never made to the blog post.

Life happened, an India trip for our nieces wedding  and then COVID happened. I didn’t even get time to reconnect with them to do things for Desi Moms Network. It felt like a lost opportunity because if you don’t react fast people forget.

Our group grew during COVID, familes needed support and connection, I needed to rethink the strategies and adjust my vision. So many families found support and friendships in our not so tiny group.

And then one day an email again caught my attention, The newsletter talked about “Especially For Me” The group welcomed the idea and before I knew Moms started registering. I dug out my old emails and emailed the director of the program too. A mom from the town also connected us. This time the museum has a new Community Engagement Director and she is from India not that it matters. She was very kind to help us with registration against cancellation because it was a sold out event.

Saturday evening was amazing, 15 familes could make it to the event. I saw every one enjoying, kids playing, parents chatting and connecting, so many moms laughing, dads talking and exchanging number. Two of the moms couldn’t make it but the dads came with the kids. For me that was a big deal. They felt they belonged togther with the group. 

That evening has triggered a chain reaction, a wish to meet other familes and building a village. The next event is more than 3 weeks away but families registering now so they don’t miss the spot.

Some things are just meant to be on its own schedule, my last try couldn’t work out , may be so all these families could be part of it. Today as I type this post I am feeling grateful for all those not so lost opportunities, when we could turn them into something bigger. 


Community Engagement Director our Hero for the evening - Shilpa Kulkarni

 one part of our group, families were all over the place, I will make sure to take pics next time 
Draft from 2019

Us as human beings believe in few things, follow some rules, have our own set of values and those direct our lives in a different manner. It's very interesting to see how something can be very important to someone and someone will totally ignore it.

Fundraisers are one of those kinds of events, you see such different patterns and wonder what encourages someone and ticks someone off.

 

Couple of months ago a dear friend connected me to someone at the Discovery Museum in her town. When I could make it to that meeting, the first thing that came to my mind was what took me so long and why. That one meeting and tour made me realize what I missed with my kids when they were young. Determined to make it work for the moms in my network I promised to look into better ways to collaborate.

That day while touring the museum I realized how different it was in its own way. The area for new moms, the care room, the quiet area, the sensory area I was amazed to see the attention to details so some of these ignored needs in public places. A kid in me  also enjoyed playing with water, air and sound. 

 

I was invited to the fundraiser gala for the museum. It was one of those heartwarming events. Sitting in the back row I wonder only if these people could witness firsthand what their donation will do. They are helping open the door of knowledge to so many children.


No comments:

Post a Comment