Tuesday, May 16, 2023

Woman Empowering Women - How Do You Make It Happen?

 What would you expect when there are over 150 women in one room? Jokes, laughter, fun, gossip, songs, and dance, glamour, and glitter. That's what happened when a group of women from the India Society of Worcester hosted an event called "Let's Celebrate Her" with the theme of Yash Raj Films. I was graciously invited to be the chief guest for the event, and I am so grateful for everyone who attended.

When I accepted the invitation, I had no idea what to expect. I don't often go to that side of the state and didn't know many people in these towns. The week was busy for me due to personal reasons, so couldn’t keep track of what was happening on that front and the day before the event, I heard it was sold out.

As a storyteller, I didn't have a prepared speech; instead, I wanted to share my story. I decided to recite a poem by a dear friend who is a brilliant poet, especially fitting for Mother's Day weekend.

When I walked into the room, it was quiet, but soon it was buzzing with excitement. After some initial formalities, I was invited to speak. Following the poetry recitation, I talked about my journey as a mother and my ideas about what a village should be and why everyone should have a village. The guest of honor also spoke about the power of motherhood and what we can do for each other.


The room was packed, and I heard they had to deny many registrations. Many people were disappointed that they didn't register on time. The energy, the chatter, the laughter, and the excitement were heartwarming, and I am grateful for the love I received from everyone.







No comments:

Post a Comment