Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Build your village - May be in a museum - An evening for you and me - “Especially for Me”

***The next event is on Saturday Jan 7th, please sign up*** 

Special needs families need more support with everything they do with their children. Family outings, dinners are very difficult to manage. Crowd, noise, unfamiliar places and faces make things difficult for them to socialize.

We look for those rare opportunities for our children to have these regular experiences. As a mom I am grateful for many organizations working towards it. 

My experience with Discovery Museum is one of those I will cherish. 15 families could meet and enjoy a “rare” family time just because everyone from the staff was committed to make it one.

My conversations and communication with museum’s Community partner director enabled us to make it a little flexible as she kindly listened to my request and did her best to fulfill them.  

The museum organized “ Especially for me”  an Autism-Friendly Evening last Saturday.

The Asst. Director of operations was very accommodating and welcomed the families and their chaos at the front desk that night. Her army of the museum staff was incredible with families. They were kind and patient with our kids. The Children paced, walked , jumped, ran, scripted, flapped in a totally non judgmental space. Moms were at ease and dads could breathe. It took time but slowly everything fell into place and adults could enjoy the social connection with the families just like theirs.

The museum provided Pizza (with Gluten free option too) and it was a big deal for many children.  I shamelessly admit that I loved my dinner too. 

For me seeing these families together was a treat, many of them met/talked for the first time. There were many families in the museum that night and I am not sure about them but the 15 families from Desi Moms Network could see that they are not alone. They made connections, talked, laughed and made promises to be in touch.

Seeing dads exchanging numbers is always a highlight of any gathering for me.

I cannot wait to have another evening next month. I hope we build new connections, cherish the previous ones and feel “ we are not alone". 


*Especially for me, Discovery Museum*

Free and customized for our children, explore the museum and meet other families.

Date: Jan 7th, Saturday

Time: 5 pm to 8 PM

Place: Discovery Museum Acton

Please attend this wonderful, fun event. Pizza is provided. 

Please register -

https://26033.blackbaudhosting.com/26033/Especially-for-Me-Free-Autism-Friendly-Evening-07Jan2023


My son in the museum - one of those rare family outings and he had fun. 


  The woman who made it possible for us - Thank you S.

My fav visitor that night, a younger sister - walking around her brother. 

No comments:

Post a Comment