Saturday, December 10, 2022

“ Involve me and I will understand” - A fundraiser Gala for “Saheli”

There is an organization here in MA called Saheli. Saheli’s vision is a world free of violence against women. Their mission is to empower South Asian and Arab women and families to lead safe and healthy lives. They have been helping women for 25 years and this is a milestone year for the organization. 

I have heard about their work and have sent some women their way too. But being there in person for their fundraiser gala was something else.

Originally a Chinese Proverb, Confucius said, “I hear I forget, I see I remember, I do I understand.” Benjamin Franklin attributed it as “Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” I felt the same. Hearing and reading about their work is totally different from being there with some of their beneficiaries, Volunteers, survivors and doctors and some long time donors, I was really in awe. The Saheli Gala was a reminder of the hypocrites we are. We talk about Women power, worship the goddess but treat our women badly.

I can keep on writing about what I heard that night, the statistics are scary. Shocking but true how abuse and domestic violence is normalized in our society.

I will come back to that some other time. Tonight I can just request everyone to support this organization, be a part of the solution, teach your sons to be good human beings and daughters to be independent and empower them. Let them know they are not alone and they deserve every bit of happiness. 

What are you doing to empower your daughter, sister, friend and wife?


This saree is my way of contributing in empowering a girl. A pochapalli Ikat from a girl who is carrying forward her father's legacy. way to go Chandana. 







No comments:

Post a Comment