Thursday, August 19, 2021

Goodbyes are hard - time to practice "Let Go"

 Last week I decided to document our count down for Anand’s going to a new program this year. These posts are my daily blogs. Past two weeks were eventful in way to say the least. Ajey’s moving to city and Anand to the Berkshire I hope for the best for my men.

 Monday we all woke up and got ready to start a new beginning. The 2 hour drive was quiet and calm with no traffic. After checking in we got into his apartment and unloaded the stuff, organized his room. Anand opened his bank account and I walked in the area aimlessly thinking this would be my son’s “hometown” for this year. So many changes in all our lives and hoped it will help us grow.

His roommate’s mom brought so much stuff and I felt guilty for not doing enough. But I know my boys are minimalists , they don’t need much.

We had packed lunch in school and then a parents session about “what to expect”. It was very interesting to hear about everyone’s concerns but one thing was very evident in that room. All of us were hopeful and worried at the same time. We all had been playing so many roles for our children and all of a sudden we were leaving them in someone else’s care.

Ashish and I stayed in the area for another day to explore the Berkshires. We drove around, walked, ate and visited a brewery as “empty nesters” officially. But at the same time I couldn’t stop thinking about Anand. I know it will take some time. But for now I am determined to have a new beginning for me too. I am hopeful that my boys will do just fine.


Tuesday - It was so weird waking up in the hotel room and realizing that Anand is just 5 miles away and slept in a different room, away from home, which will be his home now for the next 10 months. 

Ashish and I enjoyed our breakfast overlooking the mountains, then did some hiking and took a long drive around various towns in the Berkshires. After lunch we headed back to our newly “empty nest”. My evening was spent putting away leftover things, packing supplies and all the empty boxes. My dishwasher is still full as Anand used to empty it. I decided not to do it tonight. Tomorrow will be a new beginning for mom too.













 Reading this was heart wrenching I wish I had this manual 24 yrs ago. I do feel I would have done things so differently. This piece of paper was one of the hardest to read. 




1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful read. Heart ache and hope. The price we pay for growth♥️. We need to frame that parent orientation poster.

    ReplyDelete