Sunday, August 8, 2021

***When we sometimes take people in our lives for granted***

 I cannot wait to read this on your blog she said laughing and sure enough here I am writing about it. She is my friend after all and knows what rattles me at times but at that very moment she didn’t know she wasn’t just venting, she was giving words to my emotions. 

I called her for my own sake but it was she who had things to share that evening. I am sure she hadn’t planned on it but our conversation turned to her relationships and how she feels she is taken for granted, is not even asked what she needs or wants, not even given the opportunity to decide what she wants. 

I did tell her to speak up, let people know how hurtful their behavior is and then may be move on but is it really that easy ? I can see calling out people if they mistreat you (I sure can do that)  but then “letting it go “ is not that easy. She is a different breed all together, she won’t do it. But I questioned her if it is worth keeping it all inside and feeling the agony?

We talked for a long time and even if I couldn’t resolve anything, we could talk it out and I hope it gave her some direction. She sure needed a conversation to start somewhere. I am curious to see the outcome of our discussion.


Do you feel used, taken for granted by Parents, siblings, kids, friends, spouse, lovers or coworkers. Do they even know they are doing it? Do you feel like stopping this and standing up for yourself?

What do you do? Say it out loud? Find it difficult to confront or easier to walk away or just feel resentful ? 

Why cannot we keep the expectations in check? When is it too much? When to stop expecting? But then don’t you think you loose the warmth of a relationship if it is not reciprocal?

A Mysore silk for a farewell lunch for a visionary man, who tirelessly worked for a better quality of life for people with special needs as well for those who care for them.


Mike Moloney, a visionary CEO of HMEA decided to retire. As a new board member I was invited to be part of the celebration. I have met him over Zoom a couple of times. Meeting him in person will remain with me for a long time. Being the only brown woman and on top of that in a saree- our conversation flew from my work to yoga to India and my Saree stories. He is a yogi and starting a new chapter as Yoga teacher. 





 A friend got me some flowers from her garden. The simple gesture can make you feel loved and valued. sometimes thats all we need. 


No comments:

Post a Comment