Friday, August 6, 2021

Connection of 6 Yrds - a different Tuesday

 The last weeks have been eventful in the Pandey household to say the least. Details on my blog. With Ajey moving out and Anand’s program selection for coming year, parents wanting to visit their friends and families back home, scare of the Delta Variant, my own health and concerns with everything else we all already have on our plate.

I was looking forward to the Tuesday amidst this chaos. A welcome change to have a saree friend, Anuja visiting from Michigan. We had never met, just talked over the phone a couple of times but the 6 yards connection was enough to make it happen. I decided to take a day off.  I just couldn’t sleep the night before. Decided to meet a friend before Anuja’s arrival. Now to think of it, I should have taken a nap, cleaned the house, done some paper work, responded to some pending emails, gotten Anand’s stuff ready, but I decided to drive thinking we both needed it. I think it’s time to change the way I function. Logic should have prevailed over emotions. But the visit did good to both of us, provided clarity on so many things. More on that in another story.

Soon Anuja walked into my home with a big smile and that wiped away all the “unknowns”. Within minutes we were talking like old friends. Talked about so many people and events in our life and off course how can we not see and talk sarees.

Before we realized it was time to leave for our dinner with our Saree friends. The dinner was fun, 10 Boston ladies were there to welcome Anuja, we all ate, drank, laughed shared stories and jokes. An evening well spent.


I took out a piece of art from my closet, one from a master weaver’s last few creations. The daughter wanted me to have it .I was very skeptical of that saree and wasn’t sure if I could do justice to it. But she insisted and I followed. While talking about the daughter Anuja and I agreed how wonderful it feels to support that girl. Anuja suggested I should wear that saree for the evening and I trusted her judgement. Loved it after draping, things fall into place I guess. That saree was perfect for that evening to nurture and pamper my crazy soul. 

The Saree is a combination of Ikat and Kalamkari.





3 of us wore the creation of the same weaver, unplanned, how uncanny is that, the guest friend was so sad that she has the 4th one sitting in the hotel, She was about to wear that Ikat but decided to wear celebratory silk instead of cotton. Srinath, I hope you are pleased somewhere that your creation are being celebrated. (The master weaver passed away couple of years ago, his amazing 18 yrs old daughter is taking care of his legacy) 










No comments:

Post a Comment