Saturday, February 19, 2022

Valentine? Galantine? Or something else -What is February for you

Somehow February is associated with love, roses, reds, pinks and gifts. It always felt over the top to me but over the years I am at least responding with “same to you too” to Happy Valentine’s Day greetings and marvel at how far I have come from detesting all the show off about love.


What is Valentine’s Day for you? What is love for you and how do you reciprocate?


This month I have seen a friend dealing with heartache, questioning everything she did for love and even asking if it was love to begin with. Have heard another friend’s excitement and apprehensions about new found love. In both scenarios I have heard them wishing it was easier. There are apprehensions about the future, will the pain or excitement go away. Love morphs into something else over time for all of us. Someday it is butterflies in the stomach and on another it is an uneasy feeling. It can be flowers or gifts or may be a text message or phone call someday. 


Last night the first born came home and chatting with him I totally lost track of time. Had to make something for a Musical meet so it was a last minute rush. Mr Husband took care of chopping, keeping an eye on the pan and then packing the stuff and keeping it ready by the door and then heating my car while I got ready, that was love for me.


When I stood on stage reciting that poetry and everyone paid attention without blinking their eyes, that was love for me too.

When I came home close to midnight, the first born asked about the poetry and heard the recording with me and loved it, had many questions and asked for the translation - that was love for me.


I wore a pink saree and recited Ibn-e-Insha’s - “ek bar kaho tum meri ho” “say once you are mine”.

Here are the lyrics for you, listen to this ghazal in Parvez Mehdi’s voice and you will find another kind of  “love”.

हम घूम चुके बस्ती बन में  इक आस की फाँस लिए मन में 

कोई साजन हो कोई प्यारा हो कोई दीपक हो, कोई तारा हो 

जब जीवन रात अँधेरी हो इक बार कहो तुम मेरी हो 


हाँ दिल का दामन फैला है क्यूँ गोरी का दिल मैला है 

हम कब तक पीत के धोके में तुम कब तक दूर झरोके में 

कब दीद से दिल को सेरी हो इक बार कहो तुम मेरी हो 


जब सावन-बादल छाए हों जब फागुन फूल खिलाए हों
जब चंदा रूप लुटाता हो जब सूरज धूप नहाता हो
या शाम ने बस्ती घेरी हो इक बार कहो तुम मेरी हो

क्या झगड़ा सूद ख़सारे का ये काज नहीं बंजारे का 

सब सोना रूपा ले जाए  सब दुनिया, दुनिया ले जाए 

तुम एक मुझे बहुतेरी हो इक बार कहो तुम मेरी हो 

-इबने इंशा 


Link for my recital 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dE3EAgOKUA


A happy me - PC - the first born 

and the perfect audience - they make me feel loved and heard - every single time

and finally the link for the ghazal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzQuXIeV2h8

No comments:

Post a Comment