Sunday, February 27, 2022

What is in a movie for you? Do you watch it keeping the "reality" out of your mind

It was supposed to be a movie night, it turned into something else. A thought provoking yet fun evening and meeting some new people. 

Years ago when a cinema hall in our area started showing Bollywood (Indian) movies, Mr. Husband gave up on movie dates after we went for a couple of them. A horrible Saif Ali Khan movie was the last nail in the coffin I still remember - “Bullet Raja” :) It was memorable for me though, only two of us in the theatre. Soon I started going to the movies with my local friends. For years our group was a lot more fun than just company for watching movies. And then everything stopped for the whole world.


Recently “GanguBai” was released and a text changed things again. Soon Jaya’s various villages came together and 15 of us came together on a cold night to watch this Biopic. Many of them had never met or known each other. And Yes it was a first for many in various ways. A mom left kids with dad and came for the movie, first time and a newbie in town met many. 

I am sure 15 of us were in the cinema hall for different reasons and enjoyed 15 different things. The movie had something for everyone. I couldn’t keep my eyes off the whole grandeur of the movie, from costumes  to music, dance, art and direction -  the whole set up was mesmerizing for me.


I am not even going into story, acting, the actors, thoughts, reasoning, the bitter taste of discrimination, injustice, the status of a woman in the society, the socio economic divide and above all how the women are treated in general. Over the years I have learnt to go to the movies for just entertainment purpose, keeping my thinking hat at home. 

I could enjoy the movie, enjoy the company of my friends, some laughs and just fun of being together after such a long time. Would you watch it? I would be curious to know what did it do to you. I will watch this movie again at home some day to just ogle  at the Sarees and jewelry the heroine wore..


The Saree is Bengal Taant (Laal Paad) in honor of Gangu Bai, the woman beyond her time.



The Saree Gang
Totally unrelated but so needed because the song is just stuck with me 


 जब सैयां आये शाम को तो लग गये चाँद मेरे नाम को

सर पे रख के नाच फिरी मैं हर जलते हुए इल्जाम को
जब सैयां आये शाम को तो लग गये चाँद मेरे नाम को


दीवारों दर चौखट वौखट  बन गए है सब सहेली 
ये कुछ पूछे वो कुछ पूछे  कितने जवाब दूँ मैं अकेली

हजारों काम मिल गए है  यूं बैठे बिठाये इस नाकाम को 
जब सैयां आये शाम को तो लग गये चाँद मेरे नाम को


खुदको देखने तक की भी फुर्सत मुझको नहीं मिलती
उनके इश्क़ के नूर के आगे शम्मा नहीं जलती

लाखों नाज़ लग गये है फिर गुरूर के इस बदनाम को

जब सैयां आये शाम को तो लग गये चाँद मेरे नाम को


Link for the song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utG1mPlnxXo




No comments:

Post a Comment