Monday, March 7, 2022

The Big Texan - heart, people and welcome

 Packing for a trip and saree makes a space in the suitcase, It was an easy decision this time. A saree from a sunny Florida already claimed the honor.

Last month I decided to let go some of my saree and a Saree friend from Florida responded to my Facebooking posting if I would like to  exchange few. Within days a beautiful Blue Linen saree landed in Boston.


This was an important trip for me, thousands of miles away from the town I grew up in I am finding my anchor with the woman who saw me in my teen, eating and cooking and spending time with my best friend’s mom, brother and his family. 3 of us reminiscing our time in that small town in MP. In last 3 days many people, memories and incidents came alive.


I decided to meet a mom from my Mom’s Network too. She responded to my msg about my upcoming trip with enthusiasm and drove an hour plus to meet me with her kid and husband this Saturday . Leaving all her worried and apprehension behind or rather carried with her but she gathered courage to meet a stranger , bringing Kehwa ( a kind of Tea from Kashmir, Northern part of India). My host family was gracious to welcome them in their home. 


The Saree group responded with love and 11 of those ladies showed up for a saree meet. I also took 3 generations of my host family to be part of  my saree village. The 13 yrs old girl saw how we carry forward our cultural and identity with grace and style. 


As I type this on my last day here in Texas, thinking how my different villages came together seamlessly and connected people to each other. all these 3 stories need their own space. but for now this is my gratitude post to the Texans in my life  to show me their heart is big as the place they live in.














No comments:

Post a Comment