Sunday, March 20, 2022

The celebration - friends, food, fun, fatigue and family a day full of everything

A late Friday night usually results in a late Saturday morning but not on your birthday. Specially when your early riser son is home. I came home very late and just couldn’t sleep right away. Well a shower past midnight after holi does that to you. The color washed off my body but remained in my heart and soul. I stayed awake reliving the moments. 

Anand was the first one to wish me and then numerous phone calls and messages took over a good chunk of my morning.


Today was also the vision of community conference by the Federation for children with special needs. I love this conference and this year I am part of the board and also a panelist , so it was more exciting. I started my day with a very simple agenda- Conference, my session in the afternoon, then a tea with some very close friends and a simple dinner with the Pandey men. 

Well I can plan whatever I want but it never works out that way. 

After calls and tea I logged in to the conference. My body very promptly reminded me that I should know my limit when it comes to dancing :) well, I got settled with my laptop and did the first session and a phone call changed all the plans.


There are 4 adults I share my birthday with (one of my own brother in law) and 2 kids who are the reason for their moms to be part of my circle and one other sibling from the group. 

Few weeks ago, one of these moms called me to discuss the birthday party. She went ahead and posted the invite in our group. Some of the moms accepted the invite and today those moms drove all the way to celebrate the birthday of a child they had never met. These moms actually were not only building their village but doing the same for their children too. She kept insisting I should come for a little bit but I just didn’t think it was possible, my own panel discussion was at 3 PM. 

I had to decline all the invites and visits for today from everyone for this very reason. 

When they met they decided to make a video call to wish me and insisted I should attend the party. Seeing them together did something to me and I got ready in 10 mins and drove 35 mins to be there. It was a crazy impulsive decision but felt just right.


I met those 8 moms who were doing exactly what I had wished and wanted 15 years ago. They made me proud and happy. We all were overjoyed. I got to meet some dads too. I came back home having just enough time to change into a saree. I didn’t have anything ready but by the end of the day everything fell into place. 

A wore a beautiful saree, a gift from a dear friend, who is an integral part of my village. I couldn’t paint my nails, neither iron my saree but spent some time squeezing my Birthday buddy, kissing a baby from the group, hugged an expecting mom and met in person some of those moms who believed in my vision, took a chance and drove long and far not only to celebrate a birthday but to make some new friends, fulfill some promises, dream and build their village and be there for each other.

The Saga continues. Story about panel discussion, a hurried Tea and then birthday dinner next. 

A snuggle with my Bday buddy 

the amazing moms







No comments:

Post a Comment