Saturday, March 19, 2022

A Birthday Eve Saga - I am so grateful for those 90 miles

 Friday was a busy day,  Federation for Children with special needs had a fireside chat and then I was to go to my monthly musical meet.

Friday was a festival day (Holi) in India. One of those festivals which is  beyond religion celebrated widely in India. So many childhood memories associated with it. Every year it makes me miss India more after a long winter here. 


A phone call from a friend, an invite for holi made me change everything. I was a little hesitant , having a very packed evening already planned .

Half way through the fireside chat I decided I should go for Holi for a little bit before I go for the Musical meet. Continued the conversation from the car and drove 45 miles and oh I am so glad I did that. I didn’t know how much I missed it until I was there. Everyone was ecstatic and just delighted to be with everyone after 2 long years. We all played with colors and ate lot of sweets and danced. I was thinking of having a tiny bit Gulal (color) on my forehead and cheeks and go for the musical meet but I was plastered in colored powder as soon as I walked in. Well it was a way of greeting on Holi. Soon I let my guard down, had a cup of wine and let loose, played with color and danced. 


I was expected at my musical meet by 8 and I was still dancing much after that. Saying good bye was really hard, I drove with a friend to their home next town and cleaned up in 5 mins whatever I could and drove another 20 miles to be with another set of friends who make my life musical. My phone was buzzing with messages to check my whereabouts :) I found out the reason as soon as I walked in. Two amazing friends had my Birthday celebration planned with a cake. The music meet was already mid way though and they were having dinner. I had tears in my eyes thinking how fortunate I am. People sang Ghazals for me and dedicated their songs to the Birthday girl. 

I have introduced a mom to this group too. I was driving with her when the day changed. It was midnight, it was my birthday and she was the first one to wish me . See how all my different worlds came together on a beautiful warm Friday.


I am still in awe of all the love and care I received. The Saga continues.

Few years ago a colleague was going to Chandigarh, his home town and I asked for a Fulkari saree. He couldn’t say no because only a month ago when I came back from India I got him something  he needed. Well that was one perfect barter. Got this lovely piece!










No comments:

Post a Comment