Thursday, March 24, 2022

Do we really know the people around us ? Texas saga -The invite, the home and the people in it.

Akshay is one of my best friend’s youngest brother, I think he was 4 since he has seen me in his home. His oldest sister Smita has been part of my life for almost 4 decades.

When Akshay moved to USA, he came to Boston and rented an apartment in the same colony we started our life, a short drive from our home. We loved having him and his family whenever they could make. It was always fun when 3 of us Balaghati met ( Mr Husband too is a Balaghati if you dont know yet :) whenever his mom visited him I got to spend time with her as a bonus. 

They moved to Dallas few years ago. His mom is visiting him now and that was a big enough reason for my Dallas trip.


While driving from Airport in Dallas, he pointed his office -NTT Data, I was surprised, asked if he changed the job and he clarified that he has been with the company from India itself. He is one of the senior directors.  I realized all these years I didn’t even ask what company he works for, He might have mentioned in the beginning but I may not have paid attention. I had never seen him in suit or formally dressed, he never talked about his position at work, talked about familes and life in general, always ready to listen to suggestions and advice, fun to feed and very grateful and always around to help in the Kitchen. We noticed similarities in our adventurous, outgoing and social personalities.


All these years our get togethers were more about food and fun, never about work. He has a very relaxed outlook in life so does his wife so we never heard them complain about work, boss or work related stress. In those 4 days I realized I really didn’t know him as a person.  The relationship he has with his kids, wife and mom, their overall lifestyle and philosophy, so many things to know and understand. I am so proud of him and his wife - how beautifully they compliment each other . Being with Aai (his mom) was such a treat, she cooked everything I like. The 5 yrs old son made me happy and the teen girl finally opened up to conversations the next day. By the end of my trip we had so many conversation about so many things.I miss his quiet, hardworking and sensitive wife, the observant and smart daughter and uff that cute boy who stole my heart. Some people and relationships are just simple and the trip to Dallas was just that, simple joy.


Sometime you need to see people in their own space to get to know them. Do you feel that? Do you do sleep-overs with friends? Or relationships are just living in present, going out for dinners and drinks and meet for get togethers. Do you really know people around you?

He doesn't enjoy alcohol but made sure I enjoy it texan style, he took me to grocery store, Indian store and a liquor store and a Costco - because he knew how much I will enjoy these than going to tha mall  
He loves cooking- didnt I say we are so similar 

3 of us spent the day in Dallas and Fortworth while rest of the family was chilling at home and everyone was happy wherever they were
JFK memorial in Dallas Downtown 
the spot where the shots were fired 





No comments:

Post a Comment