Thursday, February 10, 2022

What is your food memory, what do you crave from your fun days?

Growing up in 70s in MP, Noodles were the only Chinese dish I knew. Though my food horizon widened in time. 

But the world really exploded when I came to Pune with Mr. Husband in 1995. He was a Pune University guy, if you have ever lived in Pune in 90s you cannot forget those best food joints for students - fountain, Tapri, OC ( old Canteen and New Canteen) and Shantiniketan. It was a memorable time of my life. A new bride hanging out with husband and his friends and food sure was one of the many other things I enjoyed in that company.

That place introduced me to Chinese food. I still remember how I tried everything on menu. The shopkeeper (Thele wala bhaiya) soon figured out that I didn’t belong to that flock and was an added outsider. He treated me with care and respect and I didn’t have to be in line or wait. 


From Pune we moved to Singapore and my excitement turned into disappointment. The real Chinese food was nothing like I knew :) Over time I developed the taste for real Chinese food. Still fondly remember my food journey of Singapore and Malaysia.


It’s been ages but I still craved for that Pune Chaupati Indo Chinese food. I did try few places and never found the taste I was looking for. I gave up thinking it was nostalgia of my youth, new beginning in life, the excitement of that age or may be just the newness.

When I came across a poster about Tashan’s ( a local restaurant)  Indo-Chinese night I had to give it a try. The problem was - it was on Wednesday nights and the restaurant is 50 miles from home. Convincing Mr Husband for dinner was easy because a dear friend wanted to try too, both the husbands had no choice. 

I had talked so much about Panjabi Night in that restaurant and convinced these 3 people to come I was a little nervous walking in. The drinks were as amazing as the last time. Mr Husband and the friends loved the meal and agreed that it was worth the drive . The desserts were perfect too. We ordered 5 things from the special Menu and I cannot wait to go back to try rest of them. 

The weather was beautiful, well 40s  sound perfect in Feb for Bostonians, so wore a saree to look and feel royal. The heels came out after a long time too. I was a happy woman going on a date with 3 wonderful people :) How the meaning of a “date” changes over time :) 

On the way back the conversation was about when to come back with our other two friends for the weekend Brunch. Well looks like you will get to hear about the weekend Brunch Saree Saga soon. 

Appetizers and drinks were to die far.
Veg Manchurian, Chili Chicken, Black Pepper Shrimp and Veg Fried Rice 
Kesari Rasmalai and Shahi Firni 
 I am very fortunate to have amazing friends around me. One of them introcuded the magic of Pop Rocks very recently and today I got that in the mail - Valentine gift from her. Now all I need a bottle of beer and camera ready when Mr Husband tries that :) I already have experienced the magic of Pop Rocks :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment