Saturday, June 26, 2021

Time to break so many ceilings

 I joined a board of another nonprofit. My term starts in September. They had the last meeting of this year/term and they invited me to meet the whole board. It was terrifying and exciting at the same time. I know the moms in my network make me look good. It’s their strength and trust in me. They believe in my vision and follow my suggestions.

Well, finally everyone is noticing that the Indian community exists not only in the high tech world but in the special needs world too.

A friend I met almost 8 years ago recommended me to the board and the process began in October of last year and here I was today listening to the amazing work the nonprofit does. When I was asked for my introduction I talked about how “ you need a village to raise a child” had changed my thought process. I explained to them how this phrase doesn’t exist in India because we all have our village already,  no one has to build it. How every child is raised by family, relatives, neighbors, family friends and household help. 


My introduction was all about an immigrant woman’s struggle and finding her footing and then building a village for others so no one has to go  through difficulties she did,  the loneliness she felt or the helplessness she faced.

Today that drives me to connect more moms to other moms, resources, services and helping them  to build their village.

Today in an Orissa Ikat I felt strong, powerful and valued.

A gift from a mom from the group and two saree friends when I met them last week. Nothing could make me feel like the queen of the village more than this :)



One of those diverse household in my town, This fire pit has taught me opening your heart and door to anyone regardless of color and race. Story about it some other day.

A congratulatory note from a mom, keeps me going, we will get there one day. 
Just because !!!!











No comments:

Post a Comment