Sunday, June 18, 2023

The shift in Special Needs families - Opening up and seeking help

 In the last few years, my world has evolved in many ways. I was once a worried mom (I still am to some extent) with no hope and no resources. I remained in dark places for a few years and then decided to seek help. People came into my life because I made space for them. I learned some, shared some, and then built Desi Mom's Network. The concept was born out of a desperate need to find people who are living my life, who share my fear and frustration.

Creating that village brought changes to my life. When I am lost, don't know what to do, and when family, children, and household push me to my limit, I do have people who hold my hand, share resources, problem-solve, and support me in getting back to normalcy.


I am very fortunate, but there are also days when I question why I need any of these in my life. Today, while talking to a mom who is really going through a dark time, I assured her that she is not alone and that these tough days will pass, but she needs to work on it. Seeking help is the most important skill she needs to have.


Are you good at asking for help? Do you have what it takes to open your heart and soul to someone? Are you afraid to show your vulnerability? 


During my last visit to Bangalore, I had the pleasure of meeting a friend who shares my love for sarees. Until then, she had only known me through the stories I shared. She gave me a gift- this saree—a beautiful reminder of the power of stories and words.







No comments:

Post a Comment