Thursday, March 26, 2020

Be there for people who need you, you are their "togo person" for a reason

This series started as a journal for my mom and sisters. everyday FaceTime and call were not enough for her I guess. My parents were concerned and distance and 24 hours news channel were not helping either So I decided to write. Lot of moms from my group reached out to me that i should keep writing for them as it was keeping them connected. 

Day 12 (03/24)  and 13 (03/25)
We hear so much about social isolation and its impact on us. I have learnt and experienced so much in the last two weeks and believe that many things are not true. No one knows or can predict about it’s impact unless you experience it.
I thought I would be the one going crazy, won’t be able to get anything done, waste my time doing nothing, will watch too much useless TV or listen to lot of music.
Well a few things happened and a few didn’t . 
I didn’t go crazy, actually I did enjoy the quiet, didn’t watch too much TV but sure wasted too much time on Facebook and WhatsApp . I am NOT listening to music as before. With 3 more individuals at home I cannot blast music as I did in the past. I am not meeting friends, missing them for sure, but finding ways to stay connected. I am much better knowing they are just a phone call away.
But yesterday was tough. Anand and I were on two different sides of the world. We both were not listening to each other, were angry and demanding. Nothing was making sense and I was very helpless and frustrated and needed some comfort talk and guess what - felt very lonely and helpless. But we survived the outburst and today was another day. I think the situation, no routine and structure and social isolation is creeping up on him now. He is the one who is feeling it most. 

So yesterday was a tough day but we got through it. I decided to make some changes so the evening was much better today. Had cooked a lot on Monday so we survived yesterday and today on leftovers. Cleaned the bathroom cabinets in these two days. The best part was delivering books to two friends. We maintained social distancing, sat far apart and talked for 10 mins, dropped the books for kids. Happy that  books went to a place they are needed. Somehow I could convince Anand to get out of the house with me. We were out for almost two hours driving so it did us both some good.

It was Gudi Padwa, Hindu New Year. I am not a religious person but a couple of friends posted pictures of saree and food. I think I just needed a reason to wear a saree and uplift my mood. I didn’t even wash my hair today, neither put on any lipstick or kajal but a simple cotton saree was just enough to make me happy.

I wore the saree I got from Vimor a couple of years ago. I had taken ma papa with me, so it has papa’s stamp of approval. Love my dad’s choice. Thick cotton with rudraksh border,it is from Vimor’s  Indira Collection.
We heard today schools are out till May 4th. I have a feeling our kids are staying home longer than that. We really need something more than online classes for them. 

Hoping for a better Thursday. Stay healthy, Stay safe and please reach out to people who may need you. 

These are my togo people when I am all over the place. 
 The breakfast - multitasking 
and my clothes are on the floor, the best way to "punish" mom, tomorrow's todo list
 Did I need a friend to hold me together or a saree, a million dollar question.




1 comment: