Monday, March 23, 2020

Pay it forward - more than ever..

Sunday and Monday 3/22 and 3/23-  day 10 and 11
Sometimes some comments, conversations force you to look closely at yourself. Sunday was one of those days when I was so not in my element, everything was foggy and messy. 
I was up by 3.30 am and just couldn’t sleep afterwards. After browsing the news, WhatsApp and facebook I just didn’t know what to do. Decided to go grocery shopping and I was in Market Basket by 6.35 am. Imagine me on a Sunday morning, shopping in MB in my PJ’s. Everything was so not me. But that’s what this situation has made us. A friend simply commented about sleepless nights, that it’s a very difficult time for outgoing people and it’s important for them to have people around or meet them because it pleases them and if they are not able to do that, it feels awful and they are actually miserable in this situation. 
I was surprised because I didn’t think I was miserable for that reason. I still think we define people in a way we are used to, like stereotyping them. Extroverts feel this way, introverts feel that way.So it forced me to analyze how I was doing.
I did pretty well the last two weeks, I was among the early Work From Home people, I did enjoy my days at home when Anand was in school. Less arguments with him about screen time and no structure. I knew it could be bad for me and I am one of those people who cannot afford to feel down otherwise I will make everyone around me miserable.
So early on I knew I have to take care of myself. I maintained the routine, walked, connected with family and friends and forced myself to do something everyday - cleaning and watching something on TV were added to the schedule.
BUT I was miserable that one Sunday. Sleep deprivation  messes up everything. I just couldn’t do much, was groggy ,finally took a nap, a long one and that messed up my night, but it taught me a lesson to maintain the routine and above all be happy.
Sunday lunch was chef Ashish’s noodles and dinner was everything leftover. Before that I needed something strong to make my evening better so a beer and freshly made Mathari made the evening a lot better than the rest of the day. I watched a movie “A good guy” and two episodes of Little Fires Everywhere. The Romcom didn’t do any good and neither this social drama. I thought I used to enjoy these two genres but apparently I am becoming a TV snob. They really have to be good for my time.
I went to bed promising I will wake up to a better Monday. So I did. Work was busy but manageable. Had a talk with a colleague. It was interesting to hear her side. I suggested we should check on everyone from time to time.
I have been doing that with family, close friends and Moms from the Moms Network. Today I am expanding that to my Saree group. I think we all need to do our share - breaking the stereotype and doing what we are expected to do and some of what we are not expected to do. Just be a little happier, more accommodating and just a little bit out of our comfort zone to help someone.

It’s a snowy Monday, Governor Baker  has declared the “stay-at-home" advisory and looks like we are in it for a longer haul. Please be kind, be patient, reach out to people you love and also reach out to whom you didn’t. They also need your kindness. Take care of yourself and at the same time pay it forward. Pick up the phone and let someone know you love them, you need them in your life and they matter.

Ajey enjoying walk in snow. I need that determination
My Sunday morning in Market Basket. Employees were calm and polite. I did thank the manager for keeping things in order.
 Ashish Special - meatballs, Noodles and salad Lunch
 A scene from my afternoon walk
 Crabby Sunday needed to end on a better note. Freshly made Mathari (मठरी) with a beer.
 then everything leftover dinner
The sight in the morning, Anand the dishwasher. He is getting better everyday.
 Broccoli Chicken fried rice - Chef Ajey
And the dinner was Shrimp Curry with Asparagus and Gluten free roti.

No comments:

Post a Comment