Sunday, March 21, 2021

A Gift of love - Thank you for being one of them

Happiness is when the husband toasts you at midnight.. A big deal because for him birthdays are just another day. One of the many things he does for me even though it’s not his style or believes in but still does it to make me happy. 

The day began with a text msg from a friend asking me to check the door and saw a box full of Jasmine flowers. People who know my craziness for flowers totally will get the “perfect” gift. with a beautiful jewelry set from her mother in law.

What makes it special - the thought and hard work behind those flowers in this cold weather. I can imagine how much planning went behind this “perfect gift” for Jaya .Two dear friends celebrated my Bday eve, a fun evening well spent. 

The numerous calls, messages, texts were all wonderful gifts. I couldn’t take many calls but will go through them and cherish them all for a long time.

Two women wrote beautiful poems for me in Hindi and Bangla. I am honored. More than words the sentiments, respect and love behind the gesture made me a very rich woman today. One of the most beautiful gifts I will celebrate forever. 

Mother India ( Amma) said wear something new. I took out many new sarees but ended up wearing a Maheshwari which Amma wore once for a few minutes. That picture was her WhatsApp profile pic for the longest time. This saree will always remain Amma’s “utran” hand me down saree . 


The men of the house took the day off. 

Pandeys drove to North End in Boston, just to get my favorite dessert, a bountiful supply of Tiramisu and cheesecake from Mike’s pastry. We walked in with masks on but the woman who has served us for years still recognized us. They were not too busy so a couple of them were checking out my saree. Our regular server was so happy to tell everyone that Ajey was a young kid when she met us first. Now he was the ONE  paying for mom’s desserts. A quick trip to Hay Market was added bonus. I didn't buy much but that place makes me really happy.

 The lunch was takeout from a Thai place in Norwood. When Ajey started going to Preschool and Anand was a baby, for months every Wednesday I would drop Ajey and have lunch in this tiny place. The window corner seat was reserved for me, Anand in the car seat next to me. I tried each and every item on the Menu. That was my “me” time. I wonder if without even knowing the word I was practicing self care. I returned home to see a saree hanging on my door. A beautiful surprise by a dear friend.

After lunch two wonderful friends visited me whom I met because of our children. They are not the moms from Desi Network anymore, they have become very close friends. Some Indian sweets, cakes, home made snacks and a bottle of Patron to complete my day. 

I am still trying to go through the messages, calls, voice mails, gifts and cards . Not even trying to respond to facebook and Instagram messages. I am exhausted and physically tired but mentally on a high. The flowers, plants, cards, Jewelry sets, sweets, cake, wine, champagne and liquor - each and every gift is priceless.

I have yet to respond to all the wishes but the best wishes came from my Dad’s aunt. She is over 90 and it was a blessing to hear from her. These video calls have made the world a happier place.

Please know that I am grateful beyond words. Thank you for being with me on this beautiful journey.


Evening Tea at a friend's. She needed to see how happy those flower made me




The Midnight shots 

The fear for COVID is real. I couldn't go to any of those bars and shop in one of my fav place on earth..
The place I loved - Thai Thani in Norwood. Loved the food. 
Covid has changed the place, it is  take out only place , My corner seat is given to this plant now




No comments:

Post a Comment