Sunday, March 7, 2021

Discussion about Equity and Inclusion- So much needed in every classroom, school and home

Written on 03/05


What would we want  for our kids? Success?  happiness? We all have our own wishes and hopes for them and we all define success differently.

and the kids they have their own measure of happiness and success.


It was a very interesting Friday. I was invited for a fireside chat with Dr. Rosemarie Allen and Roxanne Hoke Chandler.

While ironing my saree I was complaining of Covid that I wish we could do this in person. I was intrigued by the name - Fireside chat and there was no fire just Zoom. I ran an idea in my mind that I will sit next to fireplace ( Unfortunetely the logs are buried in snow - so out) or the pallet stove in the basement but cancelled that too as it is an open space and all the men hang out there. Instead I decided to join in from bedroom, a peaceful area of our home. After hearing me cribbing about not having a fire on my side my dear husband downloaded the fireside background for Zoom. I ended up showing my real self on the call :) The fake fire was not fun.

Dr Allen talked about  Intersection of family engagement and equity and  implicit biases. How preconceived notions decide our actions without us knowing or realizing. She was talking about her own experiences and I was struck by how true it was and it was shameful to admit but we all are guilty of doing the same.

Her main focus was on equity and inclusion for all our children. One of the most striking point she was making was cultural education for everyone involved in early education. The impact of Race, culture, socio economic status on the services our children received. How important  it is to have the teachers learn these cultural nuisances. It reminded me of my life when we moved to Franklin in 2003, a very white town at that time. How I was among very few brown women in this town. How many time I offered my help with Parents committee in school and was declined. Things have changed and I see so many non-white families here in Franklin but I still cannot forget how it felt to be ignored and not welcomed.

I hope we keep having these discussion and keep holding the community and society responsible to let every child have the best education for him/her, what is right for them, what is suitable for them at that given time and what is needed to make them successful and feel appreciated.

  A simple cotton, perfect for that wonderful conversation. My saree represents who I am, Its my culture, my heritage and me as a person. 

This was my fireside :)  
Please read more about what The Federation for Children with Special Needs does for families like ours. 
This kid deserves every opportunity to grow, feel happy and learn regardless his race and ethnicity. A conversation like this will change the way we look at inclusion and equal rights of education for all.



1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this Jaya. Being an immigrant, a person of color, a single mom, an Asian, I have had many similar experiences which i can fill up few pages easily if I hatta write them down😂.
    However,it is said "if it is not Now then when? if it is not you then Who?" We just have to speak up on behalf of many so that many can have equitable access and meaningful inclusion.keep writing Jaya. Thank you. Oanh

    ReplyDelete