Saturday, December 11, 2021

A journey to auntie-hood. - What "age"-ing does to you :)

Do you feel the difference in being called Mausi and Bua vs Mami and chachi? 

When I got married to Ashish at 24, I became a mami and kaku to a 3 yrs old and 2 -1 yr olds- his niece and nephews. I was masi and bua before but being called mami and kaku was different. I loved those kids so I loved the new formed relationships (names) and then I became a mom. 

Soon enough lot of kids from that generation were around to call me auntie. When we moved to Boston I was 28 and a 15+ year old called me auntie because I was his dad’s friend. That was another surprise but he had his valid reason, I was his dad’s friend who was almost 15+ years senior to me and I fed them like “auntie” so I couldn’t be called anything else but auntie. That year he turned 16 and danced and drank with Jaya Auntie but that’s a different story.

Over the years I have had plenty of fan following in the next generation, My fusion cooking has always kept my kitchen busy  and heart warm with their love and affection.

This year brought another aspect of “auntie-hood”. A kid I met 24+ years ago for the first time cooked for us.

“Jaya Auntie you are the best cook in the whole world” he had said to me centuries ago after eating my aloo paratha and when his mother rolled her eyes he “changed” it to “You and mom are the best cooks in the world”

From that comment to 20+ years later I said in his kitchen - “Zo this is one of the best pasta dishes I have ever eaten” - A journey of Jaya’s auntie-hood :) 

A beautiful table was set, soup, salad and tandoori Chicken were served and then came the best pasta from the Chef. I write this with pride and glory and ready for another invitation :) 

a beautiful Chanderi, a gift from a high school friend.


 Food pics were not "cheesy" enough :) He agreed to be in the pic :) hence another shot :)



No comments:

Post a Comment